Re: Distributor needed - HELP!

To: "George P." <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Distributor needed - HELP!
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 09:20:37 -0400
i think you are smart to look for a replacement points distributor.
But I bet the problem will turn out to be something else.

Anyway, I think that adding Electronic ignition to a LBS is mostly a waste of
time, and a foolish way
to try to fix a poorly-running car.  Unless you have an obviously worn-out
mechanical
distributor (or if you are racing, or if you simply want to buy your car a
present), the
stock distributor is perfectly capable of making your car run just fine.

Especially for idling:  A 4-cylinder engine at idle is putting very little
demand on
its ignition system.  If your ignition can put out a spark that can jump 3/4"
or so, and it
is not missing sparks, and the timing is not jumping all over the place, it is
almost
certainly NOT responsible for a bad idle.

Sometimes a flaky condenser or coil can cause problems (especially
heat-related),
but replacing an entire distributor is a crude and expensive way to try to fix
this sort of problem.

Also, the electrical and mechanical quality of some aftermarket systems is
not all that great.  Things like weatherproofing, connector quality, etc. are
often not as good as stock items.  Do not get seduced by shiny gold or purple
anodizing!!!

Doug Braun
'72 Spit