Re: Shiny Metal Brake Lines? - Thanks and Summary

To: "Team.net Spit list" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Shiny Metal Brake Lines? - Thanks and Summary
From: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@direct.ca>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 17:36:33 -0700
Wow, you are awesome!! Thanks for your responses:
Joe Curry, Doug Braun, the binnys (Jonathon(?)), Fred Thomas, Tod Jones, Liv
Haasper, Andre Rousseau, Terry Thompson, Robert #55, Jeff Terrio, and Otto +
Toto.
Thanks to each of you. Thought I'd return the favour by posting this summary
for posterity.
The lines I have look like some kind of galvanized metal as opposed to
copper.
Issues:
-concern was expressed about any process that removes too much of the
outside material, such as coarse sandpaper
-as well, that if left unprotected, the lines would then rapidly return to
their previous state o even worse,
-approaches included wire wheel, wire wool (including SOS or Brillo (for
those across the pond), 3M Scotch pad, and 600 grit sandpaper. Cloth
impregnated with metal polish was another option.
-listers have enjoyed success with: paint on primer, and clear coat. Choices
included normal automotive paint (hi Liv), to clear coat, to Silver
Rustoleum Hammered Finish (no primer).
-in all cases brake cleaner/degreaser would be used prior to applying any
coating.
With this all in mind, I went ahead and tried both a fine wire wool and a 3M
Scotch pad. Both seemed to work well, but the Scotch pad won out as it
didn't cover the piece and me in small pieces of wire wool. This was
followed by primer and a metallic finish paint I had on hand.
Looks excellent!
I should mention that getting new lines was another option discussed.
"Budget restraints" and time were, as always, contributing factors.
FYI, the subject piece was the section that mounts in the front under the
engine, and crosses from one side to the other. It's going on a newly
painted chassis. I wanted to get this done, as the vertical links had been
removed and freshly painted, and this line goes under one of them. It is now
on, as are the links, and one side of freshly painted suspension. I hope to
get the other side on this eve or tomorrow AM. After that, removing (from
the donor chassis (hi Huw)), cleaning and painting the rear suspension are
next. The balance of the brake lines will go on around that time. Its
getting colder outside and as this work is going on in a "plastic barn"
(tarp on frame) progress will probably slow down. Other family members are
not keen on paint or cleaning fluif (er fluid, fluif is for brakes, sorry
Joe it just doesn't seem to want to die) fumes permeating the house.
Thanks again for the responses, and cheers all
Nick Moseley