Re: Engine and gearbox found - reconditioning the old engine?

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine and gearbox found - reconditioning the old engine?
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 13:28:02 +0100
Thanks Richard,

Good idea with the valves and manifold....

He's not including the carbs, so thats not an issue.

Im embarrassed that I dont know all of this already, considering I
essentially
bought an engine a year ago.

Engine mounts; Ive already got some new ones of them, but didnt fit them

because I
gave up on fitting them when I couldnt get a spanner to the old ones.

Now, on to my next crazy idea. I was thinking that it might be an idea
slowly
over the next year or so, get the old engine sorted, basically recon it
myself, send
off the various bits to the machine shop etc etc lighten the flywheel
etc
etc

Of course, this is as long as the engine isn't completly dead.

Then, in a couple of years time, or whenever, I will have a shiney new
engine, ready
to put in to the car if this newer one goes bang, or perhaps I'll just
swap
it over
when the recon is finished. Considering Im getting this new one for 150
with
gearbox, that seems like quite a good idea to me.

A glutton for punishment... maybe... but I see this as sort of fun...
and
educational. Of course I know nothing about engines, so maybe I can't do
it
- but I
dont see how I can go too wrong with the help of the list and the Haynes

manual.

James