Re: Resetting odometer question-The Answer

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>, "Bill Miller"
Subject: Re: Resetting odometer question-The Answer
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 14:24:29 -0700
Well it took all of 2 minutes online to find out the answer to this question:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr14.htm

The vehicle in question is more than 10 years old (at least the main
body/frame portions are), and it will have had a non-functioning/missing
odometer.

Jeff is absolutely justified in his decision not to report the odometer to
the authorities.  It's not required on this car due to the above
issues.  He can roll the odometer back to whatever he chooses whether it be
zero miles or 100,000.  Since we don't know what the true mileage is on the
car, it cannot be reported so any numbe he chooses is valid.  It may as
well be zero to start over with a clean slate.

I apologize to Jeff here publically for commenting privately offline that I
thought this was a bad idea as misrepresenting the car's mileage
intentionally was a bad thing.  The state of California makes it clear that
it's perfectly fine for the situation Jeff has brought forth.

Just goes to prove that two minutes' worth of online searching could have
prevented any of this unfortunate mess from happening.

-Vegaman Dan