Re: Re[2]: O2/Lambda Sensor - Now Temperature

To: Bill Gilroy <w.gilroy@verizon.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: O2/Lambda Sensor - Now Temperature
From: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:03:52 +0100
Thanks Bill,

The unit I am using is basically some sort of logic unit - that detects the
resistance of a thermistor and converts it to degrees C or F that it then
displays on an LCD. It runs off a single AA battery - which allegedly lasts
for a year.

It was cheap - only 10 pounds - they sell the thermistor already attached to
a cable for 2.50 - that goes from +50c to +110c. They do a lower temperature
one too - that goes from -40 to +50.

If you really want to do this, I suggest you find one of these units, theyre
cheap - and you dont have to convert the ohms to temperature. And you can
have it constantly in the car if you so wish.

I might try to find one of the higher temperature thermistors - see if I can
hook that up. But as far as I know - as Im testing water temperature - if it
goes off the scale then Im in trouble and its overheating!...

Im planning to drill a hole in to one of the rubber water pipes - and then
seal it up and hold the "probe" in place with epoxy.

They also do a matching unit that does time and temp. Im planning to make
that one the ambient air temperature (for the inside of the car) and a clock
for the car. So I'll have 2 LCD displays eventually - one for air temp,
another for time and air temp.

Just got to figure out where to mount these things now.... they do come with
bezels - but I don't fancy chopping up my dash. And where do the buttons
that control these things go?.... hmmmm....

James