Re: Overheating problems

To: "spitfires (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overheating problems
From: "Mitchell, Doug (D.B.)" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 07:07:06 -0400
Spitted ones,

There have several posts lately regarding Spits that are
overheating or running hot.

My '73 1500 had this problem for many years, and I spent
a lot of time and money trying to cure it. Let me tell
you what I did to finally reduce the operating temps.

Note: my temp gauge is a dual oil and temp gauge from
another LBC that will remain nameless. The only time
the temp goes past midway is when I shut the engine off
or spend an excessive amount of time stopped in traffic.
(Excessive = more than 30 minutes.) And even then, it
doesn't go past about 60% of the scale.

What I did:

1. Replaced the original narrow radiator with a full
width one from a later car. ISTR that the difference is
something like 6 inches in width. That is the US spec
22 inch rad.

2. Keep the engine degreased/clean. You would not believe
how good an insulator oil and grease is.

3. The last thing, I cannot prove it conclusively, but does
work for me. The last time I flushed the cooling system,
I used a propylene glycol based antifreeze instead of
ethylene glycol based. (Sierra Brand).

Hope this helps,

Doug

--