Re: Engine break-in

To: "Douglas Frank" <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Subject: Re: Engine break-in
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:21:03 +0100
Douglas Frank wrote:
>Well I for one am saving your last.  But I have two questions, re.
the
>quote above:
>
>Water-absorbing oil, eh?  On the quattro list there was a long
>discussion some time ago, whether VW's initial factory fill was with
>special oil or not-- without conclusion, as no one had any real data.
>What can you tell us of your S-T experience?

All engines as they came off the run dynos after assembly, had their
sumps filled with a special oil known as ENSIS. I never remember
seeing it sold at retail and believe it was primarily a straight 30W
oil. While I can't comment about VW, I wouldn't be surprised if they
used it as well. Unlike modern cars which seem to have their first oil
change from new at about 20,000 miles, LBC engines had to ave an oil
change at 500 miles and this was increased to 1000. The refill after
the first service was with one of te approved 20W/50 lubes.
Standard-Triumph used either Castrol or BP Visco Static.

>And, most importantly, what should the initial fill be, of a rebuilt
engine today?

I greatly doubt an ENSIS type of lube is commercially available, so
I'd go with a good quality mineral wit an oil and filter change after
the first 1000 miles. I expect many on the list might urge you to go
for a full synthetic like Mobil 1, but I'll avoid that minrefield.

>And, "full release"... meaning completely removed?  That seems
excessive!

No - "full release" meaning full release of torque load. Let the head
sit on the gasket under its own weight and then re-torque to factory
settings, check valve clearances - and drive.

Cheers, John.