RE: Body off resto

To: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Body off resto
From: "Rob T. Getzinger" <RTGetzinger@scif.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:34:40 -0700
Larry,
Saving the windshield rubber is the least of your worries. You don't want to
save it but want a new one and trying to get out the windshield without cutting
the rubber is greatly risking cracking your windshield. I agree with John. I
have been restoring my $75 '74 Spit for four years. Even without taking as much
leisure time to restore it could not have been done in two months. Unless you
want to do a complete body off restore, I would with the two months - 1. repair
the floor pan, 2. asses the trany problem then pull the engine/trans and repair
the trans, replace the clutch components, 3. Repair any other mechanical
components. If you get that done within the first week then move on to the rest
of the restoration.
If you have storage after the two months and want a complete restore - then
pull the body off and put it on a rolling stand, get back to it later, strip
the frame, sand blast the frame and all the suspension and steering components
and paint them. Spend the winter putting the frame back together, engine
rebuild?, then get started on the body. Enjoy and keep us updated.
Rob