Re: She goes!

To: CraigS@iewc.com
Subject: Re: She goes!
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 21:51:06 -0400 (EDT)
PFM, just like Craig says!  The primary reservoir of the oil is, of
course, the sump.  ST cleverly designed an hydraulic anti-gravity
device driven from the camshaft that lifts the oil up and sends it
hither and yon through various passages to places near and far needing
lubrication (and some which just happen to look too clean.)

On the spitfire engine, the supply of oil to the rocker shaft is
regulated by two flats machined in the rear camshaft bearing.  When
the flats align with the main oil gallery in the block, oil flows
through a scroll cut in the bearing to a passage leading up to the
rearmost rocker pedestal, whence it flows into the hollow shaft.  So
the rocker gear gets a squirt of oil twice per camshaft revolustion
which just happens to be once per engine revolution.

HTH,
Donald.