DOT 5 life spam and clutch problems

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: DOT 5 life spam and clutch problems
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:14:32 -0400
Hello everyone,

I spend almost 3 hours last night removing and replacing the interrior of my
78 Spit to flush the clutch slave cylinder.  I have replaced the clutch
assembly last year and after the 1st drive this year I found it very difficult
changing and putting the car into gear.

I checked the level in the clutch master cylinder and it was full.  However,
the DOT 5 fluid has been in there for 3 years and it was clear not purple.
So, I decided to flush the clutch.  Once that was done I took it for a test
drive and the car changed gear much better.

I also noticed that the clutch would slip a little bit on fourth gear.  Is
there a break in period for a new clutch.  While installing the clutch I did
noticed that there was some ripples (high spots) on the friction material
where the rivets are located.  I hope the problem are just these ripples
and they will flatten or wear down with more driving.

If anyone have any opinions on the life span of DOT 5 fluid or clutch break
in period I would be interested in them.  Thanks.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |