RE: this and that

To: "'John Hobson'" <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: this and that
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 11:30:00 +0100
John,

I had exactly the same dip-switch problem with Daffy when I first got her.
I drove around for several weeks with tape around the switch to stop the
battery running flat, and still had to call the AA out!

My guess is that your underheating problem is most likely to be the
thermostat.  Get a new one, they are pretty cheap, you can get them at
Halfords if needs be.  Get a new gasket at the same time, you'll rip the old
one removing the cover!

The new engine you got fitted - was it reconditioned before it went in?  If
so I would hope that the re-conditioners made it suitable for running on
unleaded forever as part of the work!

Pinking is a clearly audible noise, sound half-way between a diesel rattle
and a 'ping' with every cylinder fire - hence the name 'pinking' as an
onomatapier (is that how you spell it?!).  If your timing is too far
advanced (or if you have excess carbon build-up in the cylinder, or your
compression ratio is too high for the octane petrol you are using) you will
hear this noise while trying to accelerate hard from low speeds in a high
gear - i.e. when the engine is slow but working hard.  What you have is not
pinking; it may be solved by a carb and timing tune-up, or this may just be
that you expect more top-end performance than the 1500 engine can give - it
has a relatively long stroke so it is not an engine that is particularly
enthusiastic at high revs.

Good luck, and I'm glad you are getting to enjoy your car at last!!

Richard & Daffy

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email