Re: Fwd: Car shows- slight rant

To: mporter@zianet.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: Car shows- slight rant
From: gary durham <gjdurham@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 10:20:37 -0500
Michael,

I'm with you on this point.  When you mention that the trailer Queen
owners look down their noses at you, just remember that, even 'tho they
look down, they're still so far below you that they're really looking up
your ass.  I have met, and consistantly humiliated these (what I call)
'pseudo-triumph' owners.  Most often (not always) I find them among the
TR line.  Of course, the TR line (nice!) is one of the major factors of
what killed Triumph.  The most successful vehicle that Triumph ever built
was the Spitfire, and the Spitfire kept them in the 'green' and carries
the loses of the TR line for a decade.  Why some 'Queens' (Oops, should I
say 'trailer queen' :) look down at Spits/GT6, even when near concourse,
I'll never know.  I've owned 'em all at one point or another.  The TR6
for example... it's neither better, nor worse, than a Spit... or a GT6...
just different.  I personally didn't like it, but that doesn't make it a
bad car... just not my cup of tea.  Why do I like the Spit better?  Hell,
I just do, so who cares why?
The really good thing, is that there are many REAL Triumph owners (of
every model) out there.  When you next go to an event, look around, and
observe.  You'll find a bunch of queens over there, while over here
you'll find a bunch of kids (newbies to Triumph).  Look around for the
solid center.  You know... me... you... all the rest of us solid types.
I'm the guy who always spends 30 to 90 seconds looking at queens, but 10
to 30 minutes with the guy who has a 'way to go' on his Triumph...
sharing tips, shops, parts locations, etc.
An interesting story for you, just to illustrate my point.  About
(almost) a year ago when I was driving home on the interstate from work,
a GT6+ crept up on me along my right hand (passenger) side.  I was really
out of it, I'm sure, as I never even saw him coming.  When his front
bumper was about four feet past mine, my peripheral vision literally
RIPPED my eyes over to him, only to see him slowly pull away.  Pinned in
traffic, I could do nothing.  I slowly endeavored to 'catch' him, with
all manner of thoughts racing through my head, principly the thought that
I'd not seen a GT6 actually on the road for normal daily driving (on the
way to an event, yes, but not daily) since 1979 or 1980 (can't remember
exactly).  Anyway, this fool has Georgia plates (just in case he reads
this) and I eventually 'catch him on the Interstate loop here in
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US of A.  I honk like hell, finally get his
attention and, when he 'casually rolls' his effett snob nose over to me,
I give him a 'thumbs up'.
This gent gives me a slight 'nod', as if he were driving a Silver Cloud
or something, and looks away.
The point of this story is that, is this idiot queen had had the sense to
pull his head out of his ass, and wipe some excrement off his eyes... he
would have noticed the same thing that I and HUNDREDS of other 'gawkers'
on the interstate were noticing.  There were other cars speeding up to
catch the both of us, guys waving, screaming, gesturing, etc.  It was a
'wild ride' as Liv would say.
Why?
Because for the first time (probably in at least two decades) there was
the accidental and coincidental meeting of two mint Triumph GT6's, and
the other GT6 owner/driver didn't even notice I was also in one, because
his desire to appear so 'lofty'.

Get the point?  Why would you even WANT to know a pompous ass like these
guys?  Tell you what, we ever get together, and I'll tip a pint with 'ya.
 THEN we can go let some of these guys humiliate themselves just by
letting them talk.  Amazing how (generally speaking, not all) many of
them know 'diddly-squat' about working/building/fixing their own car, but
boy, were they ever able to write a good check for their vehicle.

What I'm saying is, is that they are not in our 'circle', but rather,
doomed perpetually to be outsiders.
So here's a 'tip of the morning coffee cup' to you, and all the other
hundreds of real Triumph owners on this list.
Gotta remember that... unless they're up on stage singing We are the
Champions, or Bohemian Rhapsody... got no use for queens.

Sorry to bend everyone's ear so damned much!

LWB,

Gary