Re: 1500 head on a 1300 motor?

To: KEschhofen@aol.com
Subject: Re: 1500 head on a 1300 motor?
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 14:26:20 -0700
KEschhofen@aol.com wrote:

> Will a 1500 head fit and work on a 1300 motor? What problem might I have? The
>idea is a 1500 head is already set up to run on unleaded gas.
>
> Thanks
> Kevin E.

Yes, the 1500 head will fit on a 1300 motor.  Basically, (and I only mean
"basically") the only difference in the heads is the depth of the combustion
chamber.  The 1500 chamber is deeper and will provide a definite and severe
reduction in compression ratio unless it is shaved an extensive amount
(somewhere around a quarter of an inch).

The use of a 1500 head actually has merit if you can find one with the larger
valves and then do the necessary modifications to bring it up to the
desired compression ratio.

Joe