first drive

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: first drive
From: "George P." <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 21:55:33 -0400
Well, under cover of darkness (I don't have current inspection or
registration stickers on the car yet), I drove my '78 Spit to the nearest
gas station to top off the tank.  I've burned through an entire tank
(almost) just in tuning, tweaking, etc.  But this is the first time it ran
really well, and I know there's plenty more to get out of it.

It ran smoothly, but a bit down on power.  I had this problem before, but
then it really *BOGGED* down under power.  That was probably due to having
the firing order wrong (duh!  Funny how the simplest things....).  So with
the firing order now correct (this was discovered as my Dad and I worked on
the car last weekend), it runs pretty well.  But it doesn't pull real
strongly.  My Dad suggested advancing the timing a bit.  If I do this, what
should I expect?  I also think that the carb needles may need swapping.  I
currently have ABT, but also have suggestions for other to try.  I need to
call Joe Curto about needle valves in the float bowls anyway, so I'll
probably order a couple of sets to try out.

Anyhow, that's where I am now.  Any suggestions appreciated.

George P.