Re: tight brake caliper (was Re: veering to the left...)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tight brake caliper (was Re: veering to the left...)
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 15:02:59 -0700
>More thoughts?  Again, I'm afraid it was shunted sometime in its past
>and I'm looking at a big-bucks repair or a big-bang collapse when I
>finally get it on the road.

Any reason why you wouldn't just take the calipers off and rebuild
them?  It's a pretty painless job and it ensures that you know everything
is working correctly.  You might find the pistons are binding instead,
which any amount of shimming will not correct.  Since the rebuild kits are
dirt cheap, it's good insurance.  I'd replace the pistons while you are at
it as well.  All told, it cost me about $40 in parts to rebuild both
calipers with new pistons and seals on my Mk III.

-Vegaman Dan