Re: battery box replacement

To: npenney@mde.state.md.us
Subject: Re: battery box replacement
From: gary durham <gjdurham@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 08:06:07 -0500
Nolan,

No need to send the same message multiple times to us all.  We get it the
first time.  Being an off topic opinion, perhaps just the once, and
directly (private) to me, might  have sufficed to suit your needs.
Furthermore, (and no offense intended) please try to apply common sense
to the situation and, more importantly, stay on topic without digression
to 'steel mills and industrial acid tanks'.  A vat of highly toxic and
SPECIFIC acid in a "steel mill" is something far, far beyond the weak
'dribble' from a car battery.  Additionally, if your car battery is
leaking more than once every ten years or so while its initial cell
levels adjust... then perhaps you should buy a quality battery, rather
than that cheap junk.  Lastly, I purchased my first Spitfire almost
thirty years ago (still own it), and have owned MANY Triumphs through the
years since (so many with the 'rust eaten' box).  I'd like to think I
know of what I speak.  In fact, I do know of what I speak, at least in
this regards!  If you should again read my initial post... as I mentioned
(your bringing Steel Mills and Industrial Acid Vats aside), the acid my
start the process by paint removal and initial etching, but it IS the
condensate that destroys the box.  Please think through what I'm saying.
Contemplate the use of covering tarps on outside vehicles.  You can
always tell who the rookie-novice is, because s/he will always use a tarp
which covers the entire vehicle, thus placing an "inverted moisture trap"
over the entire vehicle.  S/he who is 'in the know' uses a covering tarp
which STOPS well above the ground, so as not to create a rust trap.
Without the circulation of air under the vehicle to remove the trapped
moisture (i.e. blocked by a complete covering tarp), the condensate
beads, then runs with gravity (hence everyone on the list telling you to
keep the drain clear-doh!), but is still present as never-ending and
trapped humid air UNDER the vehicle.  During the daytime heat, it is
humid air which we call 'bad' on our cars.  Nights (every night), this
trapped humid air re-starts its cycle of 'beading up' and then 'running'
on the vehicular metal again, ultimately doomed to continue this pattern
until such time as the moisture is allowed to dissipate.  The bonnet acts
in a similar fashion, especially when stored for a long period of time
(which they all have been, at one time or another).
I hope in some small way that this helps clarify what it was that I
meant.  If I've failed in this attempt, please feel free to contact me
off list to continue the discussion.

Regards,

Gary