RE: tyre size

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tyre size
From: "Larry Griffin" <lgriffin@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 00:17:43 -0400
Piter Bsna wrote:
>I have found this, 145 R13 in the mk3 handbook as an optional tire
size.
>The normal value is 5.20S 13R??? What is this? May be the non-radial
type
>version?

The 5.20 x 13 size was the cross section measured in inches and these
tires were typically bias-ply construction. The optional tires were
metric (cross section in millimeters), and would have been radials. The
145 R13 was the closest size in metric.

In the early 70's I ran both sizes on my car. In fact, my steel rims
still have a set of 520x13 tires on them now.

Larry Griffin
68 Spitfire - This summer's project "A pessimist sees the difficulty in
every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every
difficulty." (Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)