Now Self Serve Gas!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Now Self Serve Gas!
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:21:49 -0700 (PDT)
Well, I think Fred's going a little overboard about
the overfill and the inflating the tires. But with the
fuel cap on spitfires being in the center of the car,
there is plenty of occasion for a careless service
person to spill gas from the recently used nozzle onto
your nice shiney paint.

Since pumping gas in NJ must be done by an attendant,
and it not up for discussion. Of course it could be
argued, that if your govt. doesn't think you're
capable of pumping gas without setting yourself alight
or pumping it into your crank-case - maybe you live in
the wrong state. (I've dated a blonde girl from
Monmouth. I have no doubt that mandatory Full Service
is a valid safety concern in NJ.)

Most of the service stations in MD have done away with
full serve, but if you drive around, a francise of
Exxon or Shell will occasionally have A full-serve
pump. Don't hold your breath waiting for the attendant
though. You should bring your tax documents and your
CPA should go along for the drive, to make good use of
the time waiting for an attendant. In addition, even
though you may find a full serve station, and have the
patience of Joab (sp), you probably won't appreciate
the $.08 to .15/gal 'service fee' that the pump
carries over the Self Serve isles of the same service
station.

In MD, they tend to be a convenience of the
elderly/infirm. (As far as pricing. Maryland has a
high cost of living, so we get shafted across the
board. A tech today was laughing at our $2500 average
annual property tax. He pays $600/yr. in West Va.)
-Terry
P.S. if you were getting lowgrade for $1.35 consider
yourself lucky. Go a little deeper towards D.C. Around
where I live it's $1.469, and in the city: $1.509/gal.
http://taxes.yahoo.com/