Re: The Thieves are Back

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Thieves are Back
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 17:39:27 +0100
In article <CCE8DEBCA48F454E87C1314B8539954C7C7138@sercran38.netc.edc>,
"Catchpole, Pat" <Pat.Catchpole@ntc-europe.co.uk> writes
>Sorry to hear about this Mike.  Unfortunately it is an offence 'not to
>display' a tax disk.  So even if you have one and the DVLA computer agrees
>then any passing copper or traffic warden can report you if the car is left
>on the highway or any other public place.  I don't think the fine would be
>so severe if you could prove the car was legally taxed, but you could be
>prosecuted.  Maybe we should investigate a motorbike type disk holder which
>are tough plastic with an integral hinge, the 2 halves held together with a
>bolt into a suitable mounting bracket.  This would deter the opportunist
>thief.  I will look around at more modern soft tops to see if they have come
>up with a solution.

I've done some investigation myself, and have just purchased a
bolt-together cast aluminium tax-disc holder, sold for use on
motorbikes. This cost me GBP9.99.   The only way the disc can be removed
is with the aid of a spanner and an Allen Key.   If anyone else is
interested, the thing is called a "Motrax Max Tax Disc Holder" and the
importer has a website at http://www.motrax.co.uk

All I have to do now is work out how to bolt the holder onto the car.
Ideally, I would like to mount it on the dashboard, so that it stands up
in the correct bottom-left-hand corner of the windscreen, but the only
way I can see to do this is to remove the windscreen. :-(

Alternatively, I could fabricate a bracket to attach it to the pillar,
but I hate to provide extra leverage to the yobboes.

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"