Re:Overdrive Transmission

To: gschluge@cstone.net
Subject: Re:Overdrive Transmission
From: EDENMA@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:25:03 EDT
Will an overdrive transmission from a 69 MK III fit in the later spitfires?
Mk 4, 1500, 74-78? ( Of course with the shorter dirve shaft)

Greg:

The input drive shaft splines are different on the newer single rail gearbox
from the older three rail gearboxes.  I think, if I recall correctly, the
swap over year was '74.  I fitted a late model gear box into a 73 Spitfire
which originally was fitted with a three rail box.  I got around this problem
by using a later model clutch plate with my older pressure plate.  You are
going the other way which may be a problem because I seem to remember that
the clutch plates are of different sizes (1/4" or 1/8").  It may not make a
difference.  You can do what I did, and just play with the different
combinations on the garage floor until you get one that works.  Mine has been
working fine for the last 11 years.

Best Regards,

Mark