Re: Electric fans

To: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Subject: Re: Electric fans
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:59:34 -0400
In message <5.1.0.14.1.20020410104245.00a58c00@mx.picarefy.com>you write:

>You always want to draw cool fresh air from the outside of the car through
>the radiator.  The idea cooling setup appears to be a larger radiator from
>a late model Spitfire, an aftermarket large electric fan on the outside of
>the radiator pushing air through the fins, and removing the original fan
>attached to the water pump.  A thermostatic switch (or solid state
>adjustable) to control the electric fan and you're in business.
>
>As many times as this has come up with different versions of fans and such,
>I'm surprised nobody hasn't come out with a cooling upgrade kit with a late
>model radiator, hoses, and the proper electric fan and hardware.

  I have put in an electrical fan on my 78 Spit as a puller.  To do this
  I had to make up some brackets to mount the fan.  The only thing I didn't
  do yet is putting in a thermal switch to turn the fan on and off.  I just
  wired a switch in to the cockpit so I can turn it on and off.

  The only problem is I can hardly hear the electric fan when it is on and
  I sometimes forget to turn it off.  Here are some pictures of my conversion.

http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/brackets1.jpg
http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/brackets2.jpg
http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/fan1.jpg
http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/fan2.jpg
http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/fan3.jpg

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |