Re: GM Alternator conversion

Subject: Re: GM Alternator conversion
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 10:23:18 -0700
At 07:46 AM 4/6/02 -0800, Henry Stike wrote:
>Does anyone know what part to wire between the ind
>lite term and the sense term. That way only have one
>wire to battery?
>Somewhere I heard it was a 10 ohm resistor.
>
>                Don

The GM alternator needs to sense a load in order to go into a charging
mode.  It doesn't need to be much either.  GM just uses the filament of the
warning lamp on their cars to kick it into charging. We do the same in the
alternator conversions for our Triumphs.   It also means if your light goes
out and the charging stops, check to see if the bulb has burned out!   If
you don't want it to use the IGN light on the dash, you can use any decent
sized resistor to do the job.  Lights are nice since they limit the amount
of current they will draw and protect the circuit.  For situations where
you don't want to have a light at all, I would recommend using a ballast
resistor meant for ignition circuits.  Chrysler and Ford both have used
ceramic resistors that will do the job quite nicely and are conducive to
the automotive environment.