Re:

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 16:26:46 -0800 (PST)
SU's are a constant depression carburettor.
Not to be argumentative, but I believe that the higher
the viscosity, the leaner the mixture on
accelleration.
The dash pot piston creates less resistance (constant
down force) with a thinner liquid.

Racers tend to empty the dash pots, as an empty dash
pot has little or no resistance (except from it's
weight and the spring chosen). So when you actuate the
throttle discs, the air flow causes the piston to rise
almost instantaneously flooding the carb with fuel.

20w50 is VERY thick, and would create a slow (Dampered
effect), which is better for economy. Marvel Mystery
Oil or some people use light weight machine oil will
give you a rich accellerative response (read; power)
but in effect ruin your fuel economy.

SU actually makes damper oil (VB sells it for like $8
a bottle. 4 oz.) It has a long thin pointy dropper end
on it to reach down into your dashpot to make sure it
only goes into the damper assembly of the piston.
-Terry
P.S. I bought some general household/lightweight oil
at the auto store that has a similar long pointy
applicator end to it. The body is a domed/rounded body
to it like the old 50's style oil tins (but plastic).
I think it was about $2. In the past I would save
small disposable contact lens bottles and fill with
30w oil and top off with it, but a drinking straw used
like a chemist's glass-tube-applicator works just as
well.
http://taxes.yahoo.com/