Respray

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Respray
From: Marc Anger <marcanger@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 10:12:37 +0100
Back from the WE.
Decibel went without a glitch for the 350 miles of the trip. She sure
made me proud!
Djinn was good but the handler (me) was below par. Hence 5 faults
(missed one contact) in spite of a very fast time.
Weather gorgeous; it really is a matter of perspective: To a So-Cal
or Flo resident, the weather we had was probably fairly close to
their definition of winter (or worse). But on this small island, a
light jumper in March in a (very) low rain WE with bright sunny
spells is close to Nirvana.
We discovered "Shakespeare country" and it was great. English
countryside at its finest.
Enough of this. 2 questions :
1) Decibel tends to "choke" @ 3800 rpm, and will not go beyond. It
makes passing  uncomfortable, because in 4th gear this is roughly 70
mph. What should I do to my carbs (I assume this is where the problem
comes from).

2 Decibel needs a respray. the original paint is damaged on the
bonnet (like if someone had splashed brake fluid, and there is some
surface rust on the rear wing, needs new front valance, etc...
Because of the Zybart I do not want to go through a full respray
(money is also a factor), and will of course keep the same colour
(Carmine Red).
It is my understanding that I have 3 possibilities: Cellulose, 2-Pak
and Waterbased (acrylic). Is the latter an option (i.e., are the
original paint and the acrylic compatible). If yes, how good is
Acrylic? I have heard you can put more coats, it is a lot safer (even
though I will not do it myself) but is there anyone on the list that
has tested it? (incidentally, I heard that working regulations in
France made 2-pak illegal, and water based the only option. I am
trying to verify this info with the Amicale (French spitfire club)
but no response yet)

Thank you all in advance