Re: grease??!!!

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <Peter.Bona@vodafone.hu>
Subject: Re: grease??!!!
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 09:36:25 -0500
There are two problems here.

The first problem is grease getting onto the clutch itself.  Yes,
centripidal acceleration will fling the grease off the ring gear, away
from the clutch.  But, it will be flung up onto the bell housing, where
it may drip down onto the clutch disc.  Once it's on the clutch disc,
it's pretty well done.

The second problem has to do with the grease getting grit into it and
grinding away at the ring gear/starter gear.  This is not an absolute,
as is well documented with the decades old debate about greasing discs
used in farm land cultivation.  There are those that insist dry is best,
those that insist lubricated is best, and both have lots of
documentation and proof behind their stances.

You can get to the ring gear somewhat by removing the starter motor.
Reach in and wipe the ring gear down.  Roll the engine around as you
wipe, and you will be able to get much of the grease off.  You will also
need physical therapy because your wrist will no longer be on speaking
terms with you. :)

I would suggest simply re-pulling the gearbox and wiping things up that
way.

>>> Piter Bsna <Peter.Bona@vodafone.hu> 04/02/02 09:22AM >>>
I think I made a "fatal error". Before mounting the gear box I put
carefully a lot(!) of grease around on the ring gear teeth. In
addition,
I greased also the starter drive. And now I am reading in the Haynes'
manual with only capitals that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES OIL THE DRIVE
COMPONENTS... and the same for the flywheel. So before I remove the
whole gearbox and clean the ring gear, what do you think? Do I have
any
other solution?