RE: Waterpump question

To: "'Pettis, Ward \(NIDCD\)'" <pettisw@ms.nidcd.nih.gov>,
Subject: RE: Waterpump question
From: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:42:43 -0500
> I've worked on two Spitfires ('72 and '76), both times the
> water pumps had
> to be replaced before I could start the engine!  Both times, the pumps
> appeared fine and turned smoothly, but the antifreeze poured out.

I couldn't agree more with this statement, in putting the TR3a back together
the pump had no slop in the pulley and the PO said it was rebuilt( which I
believe, he is a great friend ), but it sat out of the car for 2+ years.
Start the car and coolant starts coming out of the rear seal.  Bummer, have
to get it rebuilt again.  But it looked and felt perfect :-)

David Templeton
'59 TR3a
'74 Spitfire