Re: Axle Torque Setting...One Last Shot

To: "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" <Bill.Williams@compaq.com>
Subject: Re: Axle Torque Setting...One Last Shot
From: "Frank Drummond" <frandrum@voicenet.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:38:13 -0500
My Leyland Pubs Repair Ops Manual for my spit specifies 26-34 flbs for the
prop shaft to universal nuts/bolts, I would suspect it should be the same
for the half axles.
Frank Drummond

Subject: Axle Torque Setting...One Last Shot

> Hi All,
>
> I posted this note last night and did not receive any responses.  I
thought I'd give it one more shot.

> Thanks,
> .
> .
> .
>

> Hi All,
>
> I got my rebuilt differential mounted and bolted up last night thanks to
some fellow TR6'ers.  I followed Bentley's for the proper torque wrench
settings.

> Tonight, I went out to bolt up the two inner half axle shafts to the
differential, but I can't find the proper torque wrench setting, or maybe
Bentley calls it something I don't recognize.  I tried 70 foot/pounds and
ended up stripping the threads.  I had to then back them all out and they
are all now questionable.  Into the trash they went.  Lesson
learned....tighter is not necessarily better.

> Does anyone have the correct torque wrench setting for the four bolts and
nuts that attach the half shaft to the side of the differential?