RE: Door Handles

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Door Handles
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 15:34:43 -0500
If you're lucky, it will just be the loose rod.  However these
handles are made of a rather flimsy metal which will break,
particularly if your doors tend to stick and you pull hard
on the handle to compensate.  The only solution is to replace
the whole assembly.  (In the short term, you can take off the
chrome trim piece, clamp locking pliers on the remnants of the
handle and use that to open the door.  Ask me how I know this...)

As a work of advice, if using the outside handle from the inside,
it is awkward to pull on and you may overpull, again particularly
if your doors are sticky.  This handle isn't exactly the sturdiest
thing either so you might want to pull gently on the outside handle
with one hand while pushing the door open with the other.

Good luck!

Greg Rowe