RE: Stuck brake bleeding nipple

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Stuck brake bleeding nipple
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 23:47:18 -0500
>From: "Catchpole, Pat" <Pat.Catchpole@NTC-Europe.co.uk>

<snip>

>This whole problem sounds like the classic starting point for a good dose
>of
>Shipwright's Disease (as discussed before on this list).  The stuck nipple
>leads to a reconditioned calliper.  When removing the old calliper the
>brake
>line gets broken.  Instead of renewing just one pipe you decide to get the
>whole car set.  This leads to another problem, probably with the rear
>brakes
>that you can't get to unless the body comes off...and so on.

Close enough!  I did end up replacing the calipers partially
because it's my wife's car (she's not that sensitive to developing
problems), partially because it was relatively cheap to do so
and partially because I was under a time crunch and was having no
luck with the damn bleeder screw.

It was necessary to transfer some parts from the old calipers to
the new and inevitably the bolts holding them on were stubbornly
recalcitrant.  I tried some of the tips previously suggested to
no avail before realizing that they were just stupid bolts that
could be ground off and replaced with a trip to the hardware store...

At any rate, thanks to all who offered suggestions and advice,
you're a great bunch and I really appreciate it!

Greg Rowe