Re: thrust washer lube

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: thrust washer lube
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:33:51 -0800 (PST)
"So I asked my machine shop guy today and he said - he
doesn't recommend doing this..."
--------------------
This is a different engine so it might be comparing
apples to oranges. I can see the theoretical
improvement in internal lube (it is identical in size
to the oil holes in the front/rear mains) but feeds an
extra rod, it's weight and the center, biggest part of
the crank. Also, the same oil pump is used on the 2
litre in-line 6's, so the pump should be able to keep
adequate pressure through a slightly larger hole.

Just to be the devil's advocate though, I took my
block to a machine shop that'd been building MG &
Triumph race engines for the past 30 years (a lot of
these Standard eights came their way). They said
they'd never heard of anyone widening the center oil
galley and that they would prefer not to do it, as
there was more risk of damaging the block than any
benefit would have been gained from widening it that
extra fractional ammount. I told them to look at it
and tell me if it was atleast feasible. Maybe someone
had already widened it in the past, but according to
the shop the center was already very close to a 5/16"
size.

I would think that they would have atleast HEARD of
doing it, but finally I capitulated to their request
not to do it.

-Terry