Re: AutoX tires ?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: AutoX tires ?
From: PorscheRcr@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 22:46:49 EST
In a message dated 02/22/2002 8:14:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
firespiter@yahoo.com writes:

<< I agree with Nolan, that the Yokohama AVS
 Intermediates are perportedly a fantastic performance
 tire at <$60 tire. They come in atleast two 13" sizes
 including a 205/60R13.

***The AVS Intermediates are a great dual purpose tire, less grippy than an
"R" compound tire but very good.  I've had them on 3 different cars that I've
used on track (both AX and road course) and they're pretty hard to beat for
the price.

 If you do little street driving and can see your way
 to digging out about $120/tire you can afford the
 Yokohama A032R tire, which has a wicked tread pattern
 and the coumpounds often referred to as installing
 "asphalt adhesive". And is one of the most driver
 recommended DOT rated, street usable tires. They come
 in a 215/50VR13 size which fits a 5.5"-8.5" wide rim.

The A032R isn't as good as the Kumho Victoracer according to the tests I've
seen and the racers I know.  The A032 makes a decent rain tire but tends to
chunk the edges easily in the dry if run hard and overheated, plus they just
don't stick as well as the Kumho.

 The A032R's rated over 9 (1-10 scale) in Dry traction,
 Cornering and steering response. The AVS Int's were
 rated in the high eights in the same category. Both
 tires are considered useless in snow. >>

I've driven a fairly fresh set of AVS Intermediates in snow before without
any difficulty in both my VW Beetle (67 swing axle car, similar to a Spit),
and my Audi (all wheel drive so probably not a great comparison).  In the Bug
I had to be careful not to whack the gas hard, in the Audi I couldn't break a
tire loose without stomping on the gas.  If you don't see much snow, and the
tires have a decent amount of tread I wouldn't worry too much.

Bill J
68 GT8