Off Topic: Engine Swaps - P-51 Mustang?

To: spit <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Off Topic: Engine Swaps - P-51 Mustang?
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:02:11 +0000
You know this argument over engine swaps... - well I was watching a
documenary called Battle Stations on Channel 4 last night (is it me, or
has British TV been swamped by WW2 stuff - every day Channel 5 has
something about Hitler!)

Im sure alot of you know this, but I didn't - The P-51 Mustang was
rubbish until they put a Rolls-Royce Merlin engine in it. And that it
was designed by Americans for the British?

Does anybody find this strange? Some weird inverted history repeating
thing? AC Ace -> Cobra etc etc. Its been going on for years....  taking
foreign cars and putting homegrown motors in them.

Im not taking sides here - Just thought it was interesing. The whole
classic argument gets thrown in here of course.

On another note; Does anyone remember seeing a program about a car with
the Merlin engine? I can't remember where I saw it.

ttfn,

James

1977 Pimento Red Spit