Dizzy bob weights

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dizzy bob weights
From: "T. .R. Dafforn" <td214@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 09:35:10 +0000
Hi List,
Short question:
Are the centrefugal advance weights in a Lucas distributer supposed to
move freely when pushed with a screwdriver?
Long reason for asking:
I have been spending much time and a little money trying to sort out a
problem that I thought was to do with the new webers on the spit.
Problem was correct mixture at idle, then mega lean 1000-2500rpm,
including lots of spitting back and poping.
Tried to solve the problem by increasing the richness of the idle jets
(not cheap, 10quid a shot) no where near the improvement I would expect!

Then noticed the dizzy seemed to be waggling very very slightly when the
engine was running.
Checked the timing, and no change with engine speed!
Opened up the dizzy, and the bob weights hardly move...
This really annoys me, spent too much on a pro tune up to try and sort
the leaning out problem (much against my own judgment, and the first
time anyone else has touched sophie in 6 years!). He said to me that he
had check the ignition, but obviously didn't notice the lack of
advance.. ArggGHHH!
Cheers
Tim (annoyed at the waste of time, pleased at the possible solution to
the problem!)

--
Tim Dafforn
University of Cambridge