almost there.......

To: Spitfire <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: almost there.......
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:23:59 +0000
So I fitted my K&Ns and theyre pretty much balanced & tuned- Im tweaking
it everyday by looking at the spark plug colour - and theyre both pretty
much biscuit.

Now my only problem is the loudness - since the weekend its got louder -
it makes more of a thrashing noise that a tuneful symphony of pistons.

It was initally just a bit louder than it was with the standard air
filters - but it seems to have got louder - and not tunefully so.

Also even though its tuned as much as I can - there seems to be a
problem with the choke. Initially the choke works as it should - all the
cams are working - revs go up -mixture adjusts - mechanically it seems
to work fine - there is plenty of power - however after about 30 seconds
the revs slowly die - the choke is still fully engaged (by me pulling it
out - how do you lock it in place?)  - but it still dies. Once warm the
car is fine. But there seems to be a gap between it being cold and warm
where it has less power.

On a side note the exhaust now splutters a lot more - especially when
deaccelerating. And I checked the oil for the first time in while (not
more than 3 weeks) and it has gone down to about half - at first it
didnt seem to go down very quickly at all, when I filled it to full for
the first time.

James

1977 Pimento Red Spit - Deafening pedestrians all over Bromley