Distributor Gasket

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Distributor Gasket
From: "Gary Hutton" <hutton@evansville.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:49:25 -0600
Hi All,

My 1979 1500 Spit with a replacement Delco distributor has developed
quite a leak where the distributor enters the block. I can't detect any
signs of a gasket between the distrib. drive pedestal and the block so
maybe I've gotten to the point where I've got too much end-float and
need one.  My question is whether there is anything I need to be careful
about before pulling the drive pedestal and shaft? Is there anything
that needs to be marked or scribed prior to pulling?  I've got some
examples of how to figure the end-float dimension using a washer, but my
experience has been that there is usually something not mentioned in the
book!

Thanks in advance for any and all help.  I may be jinxing myself, but if
I get this oil leak solved I think I will be drip free!

Gary Hutton
76 1500 FM50132U