Re: gassprings for a Spit bonnet - update - delete if

To: "'Huw Upshall'" <hupshall@triumphcars.com>,
Subject: Re: gassprings for a Spit bonnet - update - delete if
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 21:53:11 -0500
It's been followed through with, several times Paul.  Engineers here in
spitfires@autox.team.net group have also discussed the stress and resulting
distortion from  using high pressure cylinders.  At least one engineer has
mentioned the notion of using springs at the hinges.

I believe David Chu, for example, has the struts installed and working on his
Spitfire.  And, they are lower pressure.  Meaning the bonnet doesn't simply
float
up, but it just aids you in getting it up (no slur on old age sexual prowness
btw).  That's probably a far better way to go in the design.

Step away from the inner fenderwell, and mount to the framework under the
bonnet,
and you reduce the problems with distortion.  There are even some handy mounting
points built into those tube frame mounting brackets.

As for the coil springs at the hinges, some of the best you'll find probably
will
be conabear trap springs.  Probably on the size of the 280.  They are extremely
strong, and the proper size and angle to work well.  They are also cheap,
rounded
on the ends so they are safe, and long armed, so they are convenient.  They
probably would fit without modification.  With the bonnet open one could
conceivably simply remove a hinge bolt, slip the spring arm onto the frame rail,
reinstall the bolt, and clamp the other spring arm to the bonnet frame.

And if you really wish to get into the trick stuff, you could use a small
electric compressor and gas cylinders to lift the bonnet, while retaining no
residual pressure after release.