Re: Ok, I'm stumped

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ok, I'm stumped
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 09:53:46 -0400
Some ideas:

The gas gauge on my 78 is inaccurate, it won't go below 1/4, so
that is a possibility, especially since both times it happened with
the gauge reading 1/4, you needed to add gas before Bitsy would start.
Watch the trip odometer and see how many miles you are getting to a
tank, over 200 miles and you're probably running on fumes.

Do you hear a whooshing sound when you open the gas cap?  If so,
you probably have a blockage in the evaporative system which causes
a vacuum in the gas tank.  The gas may not pump out, especially if
your fuel pump is getting weak.

Back to basics:  next time it happens, pull the fuel line off the
carb and crank, are you getting spurts of gas?   Ground an ignition
wire - are you getting spark?

FWIW, 20 years ad 200,000 miles of spitfiring and I NEVER had vapor
lock. (Knock on wood!!!)

Good luck!

Greg Rowe