Re: Oil Guage

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <frandrum@voicenet.com>
Subject: Re: Oil Guage
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 10:02:00 -0400
No such critter.  The sending unit you have for the idiot light is merely a
pressure contact switch.  For electrical oil pressure gauges the sending
unit is a variable resistor that changes its resistence to reflect the oil
pressure.

Best and cheapest way is to purchase a cheap mechanical oil pressure
guage and connect it to the engine via a plumbing  T fitting.  Screw
the t fitting into the block, and then attach the idiot sending unit and
the mechanical guage to the two legs of the T.

>>> "Frank Drummond" <frandrum@voicenet.com> 09/30 9:19 AM >>>
Hi Listers,

I'm looking for a convenient and inexpensive way to monitor engine oil
pressure while breaking in a rebuilt engine in the 72 Spit.  All I have now is
the idiot light.

Any suggestions where I might find a gauge that will hook up to the single
prong sender unit now in the block?