Re: Horn button

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Horn button
From: Dean Rayner <dean_rayner@mac.com>
Date: 04 Sep 2001 17:17:53 +0100
On Tuesday, September 4, 2001 4:31 pm, Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net> wrote:
>Craig Smith wrote:
>>
>> All this talk about the horns made me jump on my NON working ones.
>> The horns themselves work fine, I have a hook up problem.
>> I pulled the plastic thingy from the steering wheel.
>> I have:
>> A plastic holder, a metal octagon shaped piece with a stranded copper wire
>> attached at the end, a spring that looks like it came out of a ballpoint
>> pen.
>>
>> That's it.
>>
>> The metal piece looks like it should move up and down, but how is the spring
>> suppose to act on the metal when there is a divider inside the plastic tube
>> ?
>>
>> Plus the spring does not protrude through the base of the plastic tube .

This is a cross sectional view. (Excuse the ASCII!)

         ===================================

Two brass plungers joined with a piece of wire braid, held appart with a
spring. One end touches the tag on the rear of the horn button, the other end
sweeps round on the circular brass track behind the stearing wheel boss.

It look like you are missing one of the plungers.  The whole assembly is
available from the usual suppliers for a few pounds. (In the UK at least)

Hope this helps.

Dean Rayner