Re: first ever spit...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: first ever spit...
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 21:06:42 -0400
Hi, James.

I would check the VTR site which has a great buyers guide at
http://www.vtr.org/buyers-guide/index.html#consider.   Some
thing that I would personally add are:

Check for rust where the radius arms for the rear suspension
bolt to the tub since this can be dangerous.

About the only mechanical weakness I can think of is "thrust
washer dropout", something you might want to ask the seller
about.  You can check by pushing the crankshaft pulley back
and then having someone step on the clutch pedal.  Hopefully
(and probably) the pulley will not move forward more than a
tiny fraction.

You may also want to listen for rear bearing noise, as this is
one of the few jobs that is difficult for the average owner
without special tools and therefore runs into money.  Don't
confuse it with u-joint noise which you almost certainly will
hear (cheap and easy to fix, however.)

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Greg Rowe