Monterey Historics

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Monterey Historics
From: "Laura Gharazeddine" <Laura.G@141.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 15:49:04 -0600
Wow! That was good!

I went to the Monterey Historics yesterday-just for the day. And
it was great!

The featured marque this years was Bentley. I've never seen so
many beautiful pre-war Bentleys all on one place! What a thrill
when they all cruised through the paddock, one after another, and
then onto the track! A real thrill!

There were also a couple of lovely C-Type Jags and a gorgeous
D-Type!

I only saw one Triumph-a Spitfire raced by Beth Philion. Just
about the only female racer I saw, btw. Boy! Would I like to see
that change! (See www.rallyegirl.com or www.racerchicks.com)

There were Loti, and F1 cars-I was standing near them when they
were started up, drivers climbing in, mechanics being conferred
with before they left for the track-one by one-what a sight! What
a sound-and the smell!

Phil Hill was there but I missed the signing-and I actually saw
Stirling Moss!!!

There were some really lovely old open wheeled racers. And then
there was the 1909 Lozier! A fantastic 1935 Wolsley Hornet
Special, a 1930 Chrylser Spa. And a 1913 Mercer Raceabout!

There was a Delage, Bugattis-all done up in appropriately French
blue livery.

A Birdcage Maserati that was breathtaking!

A black Allard that was drop dead gorgeous!

The list goes on and on!

I also saw some old friends at the Coker Tire truck from the Great
Race-including Rodney from the 1916 American La France-who had
some fun news as to what he might be driving next year. (He who
only drives chain driven vehicles!) And Sister McRae. Once you
become part of the Great Race family-it is a bit like being part
of a big family!

All in all a great day-a good time had by all!

Laura G.

Vita brevis est: rapide agite, vigore strigate!