Re: Erratic Idle

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Erratic Idle
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:16:35 -0400
I have a theory:

If the distributor advance springs get a bit weak with age, and
the timing is a bit retarded, you can have a situation where
the timing is retarded at idle, and the idle is relatively low
as a result.  But as soon as the engine speeds up a bit, the
advance starts kicking in, and the engine power increases enough to
maintain the higher speed even without the throttle being opened.

Scientific types could look at the carb/distributor/engine system
as having a positive feedback loop, that can cause it to have
two stable states.

I had the same symptoms recently when I put a different distributor
in my car (a MK III distributor on a MK IV engine).  The idle
seemed to switch between 700 and 1100 RPM.  Blipping the gas
would pop it up from 700 to 1100, and lightly letting out
the clutch in gear would snap it down from 1100 to 700.
It was very repeatable.  The cure was to advance the timing
a couple of degrees and turn down the idle screws, and then the
idle stayed stable at 800 or so.

Or I could be all wrong.  It could be a sticky centrifugal or
vacuum advance mechanism in the distributor, or a sticky
idle bypass thingie on the carbs...

Doug Braun
'72 Spit