Dirt settles out of Synthetics?

To: npenney@mde.state.md.us
Subject: Dirt settles out of Synthetics?
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 20:59:35 EDT
In a message dated 6/22/2001 8:38:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
npenney@mde.state.md.us writes:

> The lack of cleaning or suspending contamination I've long suspected from my
> own experiences.  In the jet engines, one always found sludge.  In the
> piston engines I've used it with I've never seen it remove any sludge that
> was in the engine prior to its use.  I'd also noticed how the oil would
> seem to drop particles out of suspension, while regular dino juice
> wouldn't.  On the jets, if you let them sit for a while and checked the oil
> level, the oil would always be clear, no matter how many hours were on it.
> Run the engine though, and now the oil would be darkened.  Similar with my
> cars.  Check the oil after driving and it would look murky.  Let the car
> set for few days, and the oil would look clearer.

I have never noticed this with Mobil 1 in my Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 with
108,000 miles on the clock.

I just drained the oil after a long drive and 3000 miles on the oil and it's
now sitting in 2 clear plastic jugs (1 2-quart, 1 3-quart).  I'm waiting for
the dark color to settle.  Been 24 hours now, not yet...

I've done the same thing before, but not paying great attention.  I don't
remember the dirt settling out and leaving the oil looking clean.

I think the benefits of automotive synthetic oils is well proven and any
discussion here is a waste of time.  Use it if you want, don't if you don't.
I don't in the Spitfire because I change the oil every 500-1000 miles for
grins and giggles.  I will only report of the suspended particles settling
out...

I'll wait a week or so and let you know...
Clark

"If it's not fun why do it?" Jerry Greenfield
Clark W. Nicholls
CWNicholls@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/CWNicholls
fax: 419-844-7564 (yes, 419)