Re: Age Related Discounts / Younger Owners (was: Further

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>, <Bristol7@aol.com>, <mporter@zianet.com>,
Subject: Re: Age Related Discounts / Younger Owners (was: Further
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 18:38:10 -0400
.

> I myself am a case where British car ownership was instilled in me through
> family (mother and her brother, my uncle).  Between us there were at one
> point two MKI MGBs, two TR6s, one TR4A and one Austin Healey 3000.  At the
> present time the count only differs by the lack of one of the MGBs.
>
> I suppose that is all for now...

I shortened the whole article down some...

I don't mind younger owners who respect the car. (I recently sold a car to a
friend, and am now regretting it, as it is mainly for the use of his brother
in law, and he is intent on destroying it because he wants something else.
It is a very well maintained and kept Police Package 85 Impala- a now very
rare beast, with 275K miles, and a solid gold heart which will carry it on
for many years. I had it for around ten years, and put a great many
miles(170k) on it myself. I literally cried when I turned over the keys.  I
saw her over the weekend, and among the indignities were found a boot crease
in the rear door(!) and a poorly attempted radio removal(very hard to
remove, and requires dash disassembly) where the radio was pulled forward
without regard to how to do it, the antenna and original (virgin, no less)
lighter are now M.I.A. I told him his b-in law is in serious trouble with me
now...I also offered to buy the car back from him. Nothing as yet) Anyway, I
digress...I don't mind someone with a serious interest of any age. I just
hate to see kids who's first action is to make it a "hot car" by throwing a
damn loud bass boost sound system, and those stupid extra thin tires on
crappy chrome rims and then proceeds to pound it into the ground through
abuse.

Personally, My father had two Herald 1200s when I was a kid. Had he kept
them, I would have started working on them instead of Jeeps(Willys- real
ones!) and never gotten most of the cars I've owned. I would have loved to
have had his Heralds. But he gave them away, and I ended up going through a
Willys Jeep(18 years), a 74 Ford Galaxie 500(2 of them) (3 years) an 82
Firebird(3 years) , 88 F-150(2 of them) (2 years, and 1 year so far,
respectively), an 85 Impala Police Package(10 years), a 68 Firebird(under
restoration- 2 yrs, traded) a 44 GMC CCKW(3 years, traded twice), 46 & 47
Plymouths(combined into one, under restoration 5 years, sold to support my
Herald restoration), a 52 Seagrave 400B Pumper,  and my best runner at the
moment, my 1968 Plymouth Belvedere(most dependable car I own!)

Now I have my 64 Herald/Sports 1200 Convertible, and I shall keep her as
long as I can. She will be finished soon...waiting on paint and reassembly
at this point.

I started working on my own cars when I was 16, and I have always had the
respect to want them done correctly. I am 35 now.

Scott