Re: Convertable top front seal installation.

To: "David Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Convertable top front seal installation.
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 17:58:20 -0500
Dave T. wrote --

Subject: Convertable top front seal installation.

> How do I install one or is that one of those professional only jobs?

Dave, I recently installed a new one quite easily, but it did take a bit of
patience.  I lubed it a bit with liquid soap, marked the center of the seal
& started in the center, working outward to each end.  With a small, thin
screwdriver, I put a small portion of one edge under the lip of the track
and then (with the screwdriver) pushed a small bit of the opposing edge into
the opposite track - working very slowly outward from the center.  The key
is to only stuff a tiny length of the seal under the track-lip with each jab
of the screwdriver; probably about 3/16th's of an inch per gentle jab (no
more) - thus the need for patience.  This slow approach also negates much
chance of unnaturally stretching the seal.  My seal from Spitbits (which was
not stretched during installation) even had a bit of excess at each end
after installation; should you also have a bit left over on the ends, I
suggest rolling up the window(s) & closing the door(s), & checking the
sealing at the top front of the window(s) - so that you don't trim too much
off the ends.

Cheers,  Ree G. in Mexico, NY (where today's crappy weather on Lake Ontario
& my lack of a garage means no progress on my Spit's body-work or
primer-painting)   78 Spit  FM73070U O (tri-color: Inca yellow, primer
light-grey & re-sale red)