Great Race, Great meeting, and a Great Evening Drive

To: "spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Great Race, Great meeting, and a Great Evening Drive
From: "Chip Kigar" <ckigar@sound.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:26:27 -0500
I wanted to relate to the list what a very pleasant evening I have had
tonight.  The Great Race stopped in Kansas City tonight and I went down to
the restored union station for the arrival.  The US Navy band performed and
the the approx 106 cars trickled in...

The schedule for the race is at http://www.greatrace.com and if you have a
chance to see it, don't miss out as some of the cars are extraordinary..
Essex's, a Marmon, a Rickenbacker...and yes, a TR3 and two MG TD's are
competing.

It was by the 1916 800 cubic inch dual chain drive American La France
Firetruck that I glanced at a nametag and was delighted to meet the
nationally famous author and spit driver Laura Gharazeddine!.  She is on the
support team for the TR3.  It was a lot of fun to meet Laura and talk
spitfire with her for a bit.

After spending a couple of hours checking out the vehicles a rather
roundabout  drive home in the cool evening air made for a very pleasant
evening.

On a side note, I did the conversion to the Monroe Air shocks after I found
that both of my girling shocks had separated at the top, the rod actually
parting for the cuplike arrangement that hold the bushings(?!).  The air
shock kit was $57 including tax... actually cheaper than a pair from VBrits
and I am very pleased with the results...

Chip Kigar

Visit my DYI circle cutting jig page at:
http://www.sound.net/~ckigar/circle.htm