RE: 1 Million + 2 Questions (follow up)

To: Patrick Barber <patbarber@home.com>
Subject: RE: 1 Million + 2 Questions (follow up)
From: Johnnie Blaze <johnblaze@vrk11.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:24:35 -0600 (MDT)
Well I would first off like to thank everyone for their fantastic replys,
I am a bit more confident, but have a long way to go :)

I have set up a rudimentary website for my car and added some more photos,
including some clarification shots regarding my first e-mail and also some
body shots.

http://www.vrk11.com/spitfire

As for the questions I think this is the answer to the mystery breather
... but it also promotes some more questions.

<SNIP from Pat Barber>
> The stains on tube #1:  The pictures do not easily reveal the problem here
> but I think the pic in R1C1 shows a breather tube comming from the valve
> cover to a Steel pipe, that pipe has a T welded in it. The breather tube in
> question is connected to that T connection.  If what I have stated is the
> case, then this tube was originally connected to the original stromburg carb
> and this is how the carbon cannister and crankcase breather released their
> organic gases back into the engine to be burned. The stains are from the ash
> which remains from the burning of the vapors as they are being released from
> the carbon canister and mostly from the crankcase breather tube.

Pictures of this T can be seen in Gallery Two, R1 C3.

> The switch from the stromburg carb and original manifold have eliminated
> vaccum ports from the system which were use for the evaporative emissions
> and from the crankcase breather system. It looks like the small 1/2 hole in
> the bottom of the air cleaner housing may be able to be used to connect this
> loose hose to the carb this should allow the higher pressure crankcase gases
> to be burned in your engine as well as suck the gasoline vapors from the
> carbon canisters.

Is this the hole shown in R2 C3 on the actual carb?

> The other line there next to the breather in question is the fuel line.
> Notice is close proximity to the exhaust. I would consider re-routing this
> line. The extreme heat from the header may cause the fuel to vaporize in the
> line (vapor lock) during Idle on a hot day.  At worst the line could burn on
> the manifold and cause a leak.

I used a white arrow to point to this in R1C3 .. Im assuming this is the
line I need to reroute/insulate.

Also I have pointed out another anomaly with my carbon filter system with
the yellow arrow in R1C3. Should this hose be connected to the canister?

> The threaded boss on the #3 pipe on the manifold is there for an EGR tube.
> Be sure there is a plug in it of some type.  I have used these types of
> headers in the past and needed to plug this hole. If you don't you will find
> that the hot exhaust will escape here.

I stuck the camera into the car to get picture R2C2.  Neither this boss or
the other boss in R2C1 visibly seem to be plugged.  Since their threaded
should I just attempt to plug them with a threaded cap out will it require
something more permanent like welding them?

Again thanks to everyone who replied to me ... it truly is remarkable to
have such a resource as this list.

--Chad M. Larsen (JohnBlaze)