Stromberg mixture

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stromberg mixture
From: "Luke Lewis" <lukage@home.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 23:49:04 -0400
Greetings all:

I was wondering if anyone could answer this minor mystery for me.  My '71,
as far as I know, has always run a bit rich.  It has the original Stromberg
carb, which I rebuilt a few years ago.  I finally bit the bullet a couple of
weeks ago and picked up the mixture adjusting tool.

My question is this:  Which direction do I turn the tool to lean it out?
The Haynes book says clockwise for rich and counterclockwise for lean, which
means to me that the threads for the needle-holder thingy are reverse, and I
suppose this could be true... can anyone back this up?

The reason I ask is because I've turned it counterclockwise a full turn now,
and it still starts on a cool morning on the first crank with no choke, plus
the mileage hasn't improved!

Luke
'71 "Fireball"
'73 MGB "Furniture"