Re: would anyone be surprised?

To: "Jeff Gruber" <jgruber@demainsoft.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: would anyone be surprised?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 16:32:16 -0700
Sure I do.  The commission plate on your car isn't original.  Otherwise it
would have been riveted on.  I'd trust the windshield surround since it's
welded onto the body of your car.

What a drag.

But this sort of thing probably happens more than you'd realize.  The '68
Spitfire tub I purchased for restoration came with a comission plate
(removed) that didn't match the numbers on the registration.  I ended up
obtaining the correct commission plate from the seller after bringing up the
discrepancy.  I got a free "blank" commission plate in the deal as well.

However, the single line brake system would suggest to me that the frame, at
least, is from a '67 or earlier Spitfire.  That's because by late '67, the
duel circuit brakes were being sold.  If this car was originally
manufactured in March '68 like the plates indicate, then it would have
different brakes.

Fun, huh?

Take care,

Jeff McNeal (San Diego)

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 project
home of the FREE Totally Triumph Auction
The Totally Triumph Garage forums  -- organized, illustrated, friendly!
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
and the Totally Triumph Classifieds -- photo ads with advanced features
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi