more superchargers

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: more superchargers
From: "T. .R. Dafforn" <td214@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:03:48 +0100
There was a company here in the UK that made a one off kit to connect
the
midget
1500 to a supercharger (shorrock). I guess the same system should have
been
fine
for a spitfire.
I Emailed the chap about just such a thing and he let me know that he
was
closing due to an overall lack of buisness!:-(
Anyhow I did get some more details, including a picture of such a system
on a
triumph 6 cylinder in a Vitesse.
The system comprised of a bracket bolted to the chaincover, with the
Shorrock
attached and the correct pulleys and belt to transfer from the crank
pulley.
An
oil supply for the supercharger was tacken in the same way as those
rocker
shaft
supply systems you can get for the spit. The front of the blower sucked
air
through a single  SU HS6  and then blew into the inlet manifold from a
single
carb US model. There was also an anti backfire valve between the
manifold and
supercharger (apparently this was vital, as a backfire was a great way
distroy the blower). The spiftire engine had also had its compression
reduced
about 8:1 I think, to cope with the higher inlet pressures.
The guy who did this thought that the kit made a 1500 feel like 2000,
but
unlike
other traditional race tweaking, gave the power right through the rev
range.
Anyhow since seeing this I have been on the lookout for a shorrock
supercharger,
but they are rare and retail at about 800 dolars.
However this as close to a period mod that any blower kit could get!!
Cheers
Tim

--
Tim Dafforn